Advising info for MMP students

Advising FAQ

At BSU you are not required to be advised before registering each semester, but I recommend that you take advantage of the opportunity to meet with your adviser and other faculty members to get their perspective as you consider which classes to take, and at any other time throughout the year.

Do as much planning as you can for the next semester before your advising appointment so that you can get the most out of your time together. Time is precious, and your adviser has reserved times during advising days to meet you. Find a time during one of these days instead of requesting another appointment during the following weeks. Show up for the time you reserve. If you have to miss, let them know in advance so that they can offer your slot to another student.

Take responsibility for your progress through your degree. Your adviser means well and will do their best to help you, but you are the one that is ultimately responsible for making sure you meet all the requirements of your degree, meet the prerequisites, and fit the classes in. Getting to the end and saying “I didn’t know” is not an excuse. Personal responsibility is a desirable character trait and planning your classes is an opportunity to develop it.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do the changes in the degree plan affect me?

A: Students entering the program in 2015-16 have a different degree plan than those who entered before. If you entered previously you will proceed through the program with the plan that was in effect when you first enrolled. Some changes to be aware of that will affect you:

  • If you’re taking MMP 235 in the fall it is recommended that you take MMP 201 and MMP 202 concurrently. These are two 8-week online classes that run consecutively in the semester focusing on Pro Tools. They are based on Avid's 101 and 110 classes, and will allow you to make faster progress in MMP 235 and 236. MMP 201 and 202 are required for students entering in Fall 2015. They are also recommended for students under the old plan, who can use the hours for guided specialization credit.
  • MMP 330 - Live Sound and Recording (3 hours) will be taught in the fall. Students following the old 4-year plan were only required to take 2 hours of MMP330, so if you take the new MMP 330 you will satisfy the old 330 requirement and receive one unit of elective credit that you can apply towards your guided specialization requirement. Remember to request this so that you are correctly credited. You may take 330 for up to a total of 6 hours, so if you already took MMP 330 you can take the new live sound MMP 330 under the same number.
  • As MMP 302 (2 hours) will no longer be offered, you will need to do a course substitution such as MUSTH 121 (3 units), MUSTH 221 (composition with acoustic instruments), or MUSTH 350 or 450 (computer music composition lessons, for which MUSTH 241 is a prerequisite), depending on faculty availability. Discuss this with your adviser if you are interested. Students entering in Fall 2015 will take MUSTH 121 during their freshman year.
  • Beginning in Fall, 2015 “The Scene” will be taught as a section of MUSC 299x (3 units). You can have this applied as a course substitution for MMP 430, but once you do so you won't be able to take the studio version of MMP 430, so make sure before you make the request. If you want to take both The Scene and 430, apply your 299x credit towards guided specialization, not as a course substitution for 430.

Q: What are the "guided specialization" electives? Which classes count for that?

A: MMP students need 13 hours of guided specialization electives. You should think about how you are going to meet this requirement and get your adviser's and Undergraduate Office's approval. If you wait until you are getting ready to graduate, you may find that you have missed opportunities to take some courses that are only offered once every two years.

Consult the list of courses approved for guided specialization. This list is not comprehensive. The purpose of the electives are to allow you to customize a part of your study to the particular classes that best suit your interests and goals. You may discuss alternatives with your adviser if you feel there is another class you would like to take for your degree as part of the specialized elective requirement. Get permission to get guided specialization credit before signing up for the class. It's possible that you may not receive credit towards guided specialization for a class you have already taken without your adviser's approval prior to taking the class.

Some students have chosen minors in applied physics (electronics), digital media, entrepreneurship, and computer science, for example. Talk with your adviser about options for counting courses from your minor towards guided specialization electives. Only 9 hours from a minor can be used for guided specialization

Q: Some MMP classes require special permission to register. How do I do that?

A: Check whether the registration system is not allowing you to sign up for a course because you are missing a prerequisite. Other classes require permission of the instructor in order to give MMP majors priority in signing up, for example MMP 301 (Songwriting). If that's the case, contact the instructor and ask to be enrolled.

Q: Is MMP 125 (Acoustics) offered in the spring?

A: MMP 125 is not offered in the spring, but you can take MUSTH 122 (Acoustics for Musicians) which can be counted as a course substitution for it.

Q: Are any MMP classes offered in the summer?

A: MMP 100 (Survey of the Music Industry), MUSTH 121 (Introduction to Computer Music), MMP 301 (Songwriting), and MMP 494 (Internship) are often taught online in the summer.