Ball State Library
Amy Edmunds, the Bracken Library librarian in charge of the music collection, created a helpful guide for working musicians. She has divided up their books by area and collected some helpful summaries of the content. Visit her in the Bracken Library basement if you have questions.
There are also some technical sound engineering books classified in the TK area on the fourth floor.
phone: (765) 285-5065
Angela Duckworth, Grit: The Power of Passion and Perserverance
Carolyn Dweck, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
Gabriele Oettingen, Rethinking Positive Thinking. Inside the New Science of Motivation
Stephen Covey, Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
Joseph McCormack, Brief: Make a Bigger Impact by Saying Less
Malcolm Gladwell, Outliers: The Story of Success
Chip Heath and Dan Heath, Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work [ interview ]
- Walter Pauk, How to Study in College. Pricey, but lots of good ideas. 2nd edition is in Bracken Library LB2395.P3.1974
- John Seabrook. The Song Machine. ML3790.S382.2015.
- Mark Halloran, The Musician's Business and Legal Guide. ML3790.M84.2008.
Marketing and Promotion
Bobby Owsinski, Social Media Promotion for Musicians
Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler, Bold
Seth Goodman and Barry Nolebuff, Mission in a Bottle: The Story of Honest Tea
- Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
- Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
- Biz Stone: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
You may think that your heroes were just naturally good at things at it came easily to them. No—they may have been naturally talented, but they also worked harder than everyone else.
- Miles Davis with Quincy Troupe, Miles: The Autobiography
- Mark Lewisohn, Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years, v. 1
- Brad Stone, The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon [ interview ]
- Walter Isaacson, Steve Jobs
- Richard Kostelanetz, Conversing With Cage
- Brian Green, The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos. Need to get some perspective in your life? Check out this readable introduction for a non-technical audience.